Monday, December 21, 2009

Lighten Up

Winter Solstice occurs on December 21, 2009.  The solstice is the one day of the year where lightness and darkness are equal. Following solstice light begins to increase culminating on Summer Solstice.  Light, the all giving and illuminating beauty of the Sun, and the stars. As the sun's brilliance presence grows we anticipate increased levity and joy. 

Annually, monthly and daily the Sun, Moon and Mother Earth engage in their primitive and everlasting dance to create life and prosperity>

How am I engaged in my own life?
How am I responding to the dance of the seasons?
Has darkness embedded itself into my heart and colored my view of life? 
Do I recognize that seasonal doldrums will pass, and how that is different from chronic hopelessness?
What am I doing to compensate for the lack of light in my life?

My last blog post rattled a few readers.  A Talking Stick is metaphor based, allegorical and lyrical.  When the subject is hard, the writing is dark, but not intended to be hopeless. Even when life is hard, there is always hope.

Hope is that small ray of light growing from beneath the blinds in the early morning hours. The golden light grows and changes while we are  fast asleep.

My husband's grief and my response to feeling powerless over his depression is only temporary.  This too shall pass.  Our marriage will survive the ups and downs of serotonin, seasonal light and loss of loved ones.  Our marriage is based on something much stronger than changing seasons.  It is based on love and trust.  When you have a strong foundation in your relationship all storms can be weathered.

May your Winter Solstice be brilliant and filled with illumination and inspiration.



Early Morning Light (Another Day), #2801
(c)2009 James W. Murray All Rights Reserved
(click on image for full-sized version) 

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment